Chromebook Troubleshooting - UpdatedFri, 02/18/2022 - 10:27am
Here are directions for the most common issues with student Chromebooks. Note that many issues can be solved by Removing any extension you have added on your own, clearing the cache, and restarting the Chromebook. Please be sure to completely shut down your device (not just log out) at least once per week.
Slow Chromebook/ Trouble connecting to apps or downloading files:
- Make sure they do not have any extensions loaded on their Chromebook other than the non-removable ones that HCPSS has installed. Directions to remove browser extensions. The removable pre-installed extensions for Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Keep, etc are not really necessary for elementary school and can clear up memory that students need for other apps.
- You may need to clear the browsing history and cache.
- Open Chrome.
- At the top right, click More Click More Tools > Clear Browsing Data.
- At the top, choose a time range. To delete everything, select All time.
- Next to “Cookies and other site data” and “Cache images and files,” check the boxes.
- Click Clear data.
Delete APPS from the Google Play Store that you are not using for school
Some apps, such as Minecraft EDU, Google Earth, BlueBot, and Scratch Jr take up a lot of space. If your Chromebook is having problems, delete the apps that you don't need at that time and restart your device. You can always load them in again when you do need them.
Check to make sure that 3rd party cookies are not blocked:
1. In Chrome, at the top right corner, click the Three Dots,
2. Select Settings
3. Select Privacy and Security in the left-hand list of categories
4. Select Site Settings
5. Select Cookies and Site Data in the content group
6. Choose Allow all cookies
7. Close and reopen Chrome to complete
RESET YOUR CHROMEBOOK HARDWARE. To fix some Chromebook problems, you might need to reset your Chromebook hardware, also called a hard reset.
Try a hard reset only after other ways to fix the problem have failed. It will restart your Chromebook hardware (like your keyboard and touchpad), and might delete some files in your Downloads folder.
Hard reset your Chromebook
For most Chromebooks, follow the steps below:
- Turn off your Chromebook completely - do not just close the lid.
- Press and hold Refresh + tap Power . - the button on the left side next to the light. Hold them both for about 10 seconds.
- When your Chromebook starts up, release Refresh .
Resource Sheets for Students.pdf - This PDF has tips for Pear Deck, Jamboard, and using a Split Screen on Chromebooks.
Google Assignments_ Linking, Completing, and Submitting .pdf - See Screencast Below
If there is a guide with images that you would like to see and can't find, please send Mrs. Barno an email.
Need to Exchange your Chromebook or Power Cord?
Devices may be exchanged or returned at any of the following Technology Support Centers:
Old Bushy Park Elementary School, Room E2 (door to the left of the front entrance), 2690 Route 97, Glenwood (Building is between Glenwood Middle School and Bushy Park Elementary School)
Old Cedar Lane, Gymnasium (door on the left side of the building; follow the signs), 5451 Beaverkill Road, Columbia (Building shares a parking lot with Harper’s Choice Middle School)
Note! Both locations are in old school buildings that are not located at the same sites as the new schools with similar names. Anyone seeking assistance should go to the locations listed above and not go to or call the current schools regarding the Technology Support Center.
Hours of operation are Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 7:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., and Tuesday and Thursday from 2-5 p.m. Please note that Technology Support Centers are closed any day that HCPSS offices are closed.